Below are some of the main highlights:
"How do we build confidence?", the Cité de l’économie’s 3rd conference at the JECO.
Drawing on the main theme of the 2013 JECO, the Cité de l’économie et de la monnaie held a debate on the question of “How do we build confidence?” In keeping with its original goal of promoting discussion and mediation, the Cité aims to bring together economists and non-economists to exchange views on the subject and look at the theme through the medium of photography.
4 groups of students from secondary schools in Lyon and the surrounding area (Lycée La Martinière Duchère, Lyon; Lycée Jacques Brel, Venisieux) exhibited a selection of their photographs, taken in September and October 2013 with the help of a professional photographer. The students spent time analysing and discussing the theme of confidence with their teachers (social and economic sciences, economics and management and philosophy teachers), and these photographs are the result of their exchanges.
The following specialists held a debate with the students at the conference:
- Yann Algan, Professor of Economics at Sciences Po in Paris and co-author of “La société de défiance” (A Defiant Society), 2007 (2008 French Economics Book of the Year) and “La fabrique de la défiance” (Manufacturing Defiance), 2012 (chosen by secondary school students as Economics Book of the Year). Algan was also named Best Young Economist in 2009 and is a member of the Science Council of the Cité de l’économie
- Denis Lafontaine, artist-photographer. Lafontaine advised the 4 student groups on their photography projects
- Paul Seabright, Professor of Economics at the Toulouse School of Economics, and Director of the Toulouse Institute of Advanced Studies (IAST). Seabright is author of “The Company of Strangers”, 2011 (shortlisted for the British Academy Book Prize) and “Sexonomics”, 2013.
Photos of the students were exhibited throughout the Journées de l’économie (JECO)
The teaching video “Draw me the economy”, on the theme of economic confidence, will also be shown at the conference.
Below is a list of some of the other key events on the theme of how to teach economics, and/or organised by partners of the Cité de l’économie:
- "An ABC Guide to the Contemporary Economy", an opportunity to meet the author Philippe Askénazy;
- "The future of economics teaching at universities", a conference organised by the Institute for the Development of Economic and Social Information (IDIES);
- "Worker information and power", a conference organised by the IDIES;
- "Is transparency the solution?", a conference organised by the Institute for Public Financial and Economic Education (IEFP) ;
- "Banks", and "The labour market", two workshops organised by the French General Directorate for Education (DGESCO);
- "2nd Forum on Professional Integration";
- "Confidence and passion, the keys to a successful education", conference organised by the French Business Foundation for Educational Success (FERS);
A number of workshops for young entrepreneurs were organised as part of the French Finance Ministry’s Cafés de l’économie (economics round table).
The Banque de France and Cité de l’économie et de la monnaie are partners of the JECO.
Published on 13 November 2013.